Click throughs occur when people click on a link on your Theme-Based Content Site and leave it. (They don’t actually leave since you pop open a new window for them!) We should actually call them “click outs” -- but since the industry is used to “click through,” we're stuck with that term!
Click throughs earn you income. Why? Well, it all depends where those click throughs are going...
• affiliate programs -- a percentage of those turn into sales or leads (or whatever action your merchant-partner pays for).
• your own online store -- a percentage will buy, yielding you a profit.
• your “order page” that sells an e-book or software that you developed, or even your services.
• your Net auction listing.
To maximize click throughs, of course, you know that you must create highvalue content that OVERdelivers what your visitors were looking for. Blending “in-context” text links into your copy gets the click through.
Once you’ve done that, of course, you need a way to know what's “getting the click”... and what’s not! And that’s where Click Through Analysis comes into play.
In order to do “Click Through Analysis,” you convert your regular OUTGOING links (i.e., links to your merchant-partners, your online store, and your sales site) into special tracking links. When your visitor clicks on such a link, she first goes to a computer program that records the click and where it came from. Then the program sends the visitor to the income-building site that you had specified.
Click Through Analysis yields the following...
• total click throughs for all your ON-SITE links, as well as for each ON-SITE link (i.e., on a link-by-link basis)
• “first-time vs. repeat” click throughs for the total of all click throughs on all your ON-SITE links and also on a link-by-link basis. In other words, has the person who is clicking on a link clicked on it before?
• and, of course, the clicks divided by the page views, which gives you your “Click Through Rate” for all your links as a group, and also on a link-by-link basis. Excellent Click Through Analysis would even slice and dice your click through analysis like this...
1) It would present you with link-by-link data, broken down for every page that each link appears upon (in other words, if LINK A appears on Pages 1, 2, and 3, it shows you how LINK A performed on each of those pages)
2) And it would present you page-by-page data, broken down with the performance of every link on each page. (In other words, if Page 1 contains LINKS A, B, and C, it shows you how each of those links performed on that page.)
And perfect Click Through Analysis would give you all this data for any time span that you request!
With Click Through Analysis, you have an exact success rate of every single ONSITE link. And that, dear reader, measures income... your money.
You’ll know exactly what people are clicking upon and what they are not. From that point, it’s just a question of building upon your successes and fixing your weaknesses to maximize your income.
Click Through Analysis is as critical for your Theme-Based Content Site as Click IN Analysis. Again, existing services are very expensive. And none give the degree of information that I have outlined for the perfect Click Through Analysis.
POWER-USER TIP: Want perfect tracking of how effective your e-zine ad is? Combine Click IN Analysis and Click Through Analysis!
1) Place an ad in an e-zine, or bid on keywords from a Pay-Per-Click Search Engine. The link goes to a page on your site that receives clicks only from this ad. It can be a simple duplicate of one of your site’s pre-existing pages. But it should not receive links from anywhere else, including even from your own site.
2) On that page, create new tracker links to your affiliate programs, links that are unique for this ad. You should not use these tracker links anywhere else.
3) Now your Click IN Analysis can track the INcoming traffic and your Click Through Analysis can see how many of those folks coming IN actually go to your income-generating programs (or your sales site, online store, etc.)
You’ll know exactly and you will be able to say...
“This e-zine ad on this day (or this Pay-Per-Click listing) brought in this many visitors of which this many clicked on to this and that merchant.”
Since you know the Conversion Rate for each of your merchant-partners (or your sales site/store), you know whether it makes sense to keep advertising, or to find more targeted e-zines, or more targeted keywords on the pay-per-clicks.
This technique works for e-zine ads, opt-in mailings, or article submissions that direct readers to your Theme-Based Content Site, and it can be very helpful to test the cost-effectiveness of the Pay-Per-Click Search Engines
As I said, though, this requires a fair degree of savvy and some work. Definitely for power users only.
And, if it’s more appropriate to send readers directly to your merchants (instead of a page on your site), then this extra step would not be a good idea. It’s something to keep in mind.
Take-home lesson for DAY 10?...
Know your visitors, the heart of your business, by following traffic stats. And tracking links in and out is the key to maximizing income by getting the most return from all your traffic-building expenses.
Please complete your DAY 10 Goal-of-the-DAY, and take note of your Ongoing Goal...
Ongoing Goal... Create one OFF-SITE promotion with special tracking links per week (or whatever fits for you).
Review traffic stats, and do both Click IN and Click Through Analysis regularly. Watch for trends. Build on your successes and either drop or improve what does not work.
On the next DAY...
Wait! There is no next DAY! You are at the end of your masters course. Bring on the wrap-up!…